Monday, August 13, 2012

Bornprettystore.com Haul & Review

Hi guys! Today instead of nail polish/nail art, I'm going to do a review on bornprettystore.com and a few of their products that I purchased. When I was deciding whether to purchase items from them I searched the internet for quite some time trying to find good reviews of them and the products I was looking for and couldn't find a good review anywhere! Hopefully this review will be helpful or someone else in the future who wants to research them and their products prior to purchasing. :)

Product Reviews:


Products Purchased:
Round Gold Studs (middle, top left)
Square Gold Studs (middle, top right)
Silver Striping Tape (middle, center left)
Black Striping Tape (middle, center right)
Rhinestone Wheel (middle, bottom)




I ordered these glitters to try to achieve some of the looks Sammy from thenailasaurus shows on her blog. The glitters are pretty easy to work with, in order to put them on all I did was put a clear coat over top of the  base polish, dipped my dotting tool in a little bit of clear polish, picked up a piece of glitter, and put on the nail where I wanted it. The colors are pretty standard, I have a feeling I'll mainly be using the god and the silver ones the most though. The negatives, however, are that some of the glitter pieces aren't uniform with the rest. The majority of them are great but when I was using them, there were some that weren't cut properly, were too big, were cut in half, etc. Applying these was generally easy, but there were times when they'd just stick together or to whatever surface I had them laying on (the lid, a paperplate, etc). Which wasn't that big of a deal, but it got annoying after awhile to be sitting there stabbing the glitter trying to pick it up and having it not budge. Overall they were pretty much what I expected, a nice sized loose hex glitter. 


I was most excited about these little microbeads. Unfortunately I'm a little disappointed with them. I was going to purchase the ones from Michaels since I would get a lot of them, but heard that they would bleed with certain topcoats and glues, which is why I waited and purchased them from bornprettystore. I figured if I bought them here, ones meant for nail art, that they wouldn't bleed, but they do! The silver ones didn't seem to bleed when I used them, I did manage to spill a few though..oops! When I tried the black ones on a nail wheel to test the strength of them, they bled when I put a topcoat on it, AND with the nail glue I used to apply them!

See? Ignore those wrinkled looking spots on the grey one, I was trying to pop them off to see how well they'd stay on. But the bleeding, I'm actually REALLY disappointed. I even opted to buy them from here instead of buying a wheel off of ebay with just gold and silver because I thought the other colors wouldn't bleed. I'll have to get some different topcoats and see what happens, but the bleeding issue is hard to look past. I'll have to see how well they do for "caviar" nails though, hopefully they won't bleed for that. 

Along with bleeding, the beads are also not a uniform size, you can see what I mean in the pictures above. Some of the beads were super tiny and barely noticeable on the nail while others were the perfect size. Which, again, isn't a big deal, but for someone like me who likes for things to be as uniform and neat as possible, it's a tad annoying for them to not be all the same size. 

Another negative, the containers the microbeads and the glitters are in are good, but some of them seem very very hard to open, I may have to use some pliers to open about half of them. Which is good, in a way, so that there's no chance of the lids popping off on accident, but there were also a few where the lids didn't even want to do on all the way no matter how hard I tried. 

See how the lid won't screw on all the way? It's probably just me, but I tried for a good three minutes to get that sucker on right and it just would not go on. Hopefully the glitter won't fall out of it. 


This nail wheel contains 12 different colors of round rhinestones. The wheel itself was smaller than I expected, but there were a lot more rhinestones in it than I anticipated, which makes up for the small wheel size. I have no complaints on this wheel,  however I would warn you to be careful when opening it and going to different colors in it because the first time I tried to open it I bumped my finger while turning the lid and spilled a few of the purple rhinestones. I tested a couple of the rhinestones by creating a little rhinestone flower, take a look!


I used nail glue to apply the stones, I'm not sure how clear polish works, but this seems to not want to move at all, so if you're going to wear it for an extended period of time, I'd recommend using nail glue to apply them. I thought I was using a silver rhinestone for the middle, but it turns out it was actually clear! Good thing this was just a tester, right? Overall them seem to be good quality and definitely worth the price, there's a lot more rhinestones in this wheel then I've seen in some others. 


If I remember correctly, the round studs are 1.5mm and the square ones are 2mm. They're both pretty tiny though, I expected them to be larger and more awkward to handle, but they're the perfect size! I have no complaints with these either, other than that it would be nicer if they were in a different packaging. I have a feeling that sometime in the future I'm going to forget to close the top of this and they're all going to just fall out. I tried out a quick, easy design with the round ones and I really love the look of it.

What do you guys think? Kinda cute right? I think I'm going to try this using a light and a dark purple on my mom as an accent nail when she's done altering this dang flower girl dress for my friend's mom's wedding! The studs lay pretty flat so they won't really get in your way or snag on anything. The design possibilities are endless for these, I love them!


And finally, striping tape! I got the black and the silver tape since I figured I'd definitely use these two colors the most compared to the other colors available. The tape was less stiff than I expected, but that's a good thing! Every picture of a manicure with striping tape it always looks like the tape is really thick and not flexible at all, but that's not the case. It's super flexible, maybe even too flexible for my taste, but they're exactly what you'd expect with striping tape. The only things I didn't like about them are that the sides are a little sticky, which is why I'm keeping them in the plastic sleeves they came in, so that dog hair doesn't get stuck to the sides. I also didn't like that for the black striping tape, I had a hard time getting the end of the the tape up so try to use it, both are minor though and definitely not a deal breaker.

I can't wait to use the striping tape on my own nails, I love how this turned out! 

Store Review:

Shipping time: The shipping took a little longer than I expected. I placed my order on Saturday July 21st and received it on Wednesday August 8th, which is about 2.5 weeks. Which isn't that bad since it's coming all the way from China to Ohio, however I've gotten used to fast shipping from the website where I buy my clarinet reeds, and also from when I bought a bottle of OPI Black Spotted from ebay and it only took a week to get here from France. In my opinion, anything more than 1.5 weeks is long. However shipping is free, so that makes up for the slightly longer shipping time!

Their website also is a little hard to navigate. When I was searching for some of these products I went to the categories I expected them to be in and they weren't. I ended up just searching their website for them, which isn't a big deal at all, just a little confusing if you're trying to look at categories and what you want is hidden among them. I would just like their website to be a little more user friendly.

The only thing I didn't quite like about ordering with them is that they only accepted paypal, which means for people who want to order from them, they have to create a paypal account if they don't already have one. 

Overall I would definitely recommend shopping here for cheaper nail art supplies. I purchased all of this for about $35, which is a great price compared to what I would have had to pay at ebay or other sites!

No comments:

Post a Comment